I am currently a fourth year PhD student in the Department of Biological Sciences and I’m co-advised by Dr. Bystroff and Dr. Dordick.
B.S. in Biology from St. John’s University
M.S. in Biology from St. John’s University
My research focuses on protein folding and understanding the mechanisms that drive proteins to more favored conformations verses others. Enhancement of our knowledge of those factors that drive conformational predominance in protein structure can be used to engineer novel properties into existent proteins. I am working on re-engineering the green fluorescent protein (GFP) from the jellyfish Aequorea victoria. In redesigning this protein we are attempting to develop tunable biosensors that can be used to detect small chemical molecules or proteins. The target of design efforts is the Dengue virus.
- Xia, Y; DiPrimio, N; Keppel, T. R; Vo, B; Fraser, K; Battaile, K. P; Egan, C; Bystroff, C; Lovell, S; Weis, D. D; Anderson, J. C; Karanicolas, J. The designability of protein switches by chemical rescue of structure: Mechanisms of inactivation and reactivation. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2013, 135 (50), pp 18840-18849.
- Rosenman, D. J; Huang, Y .-m; Xia, K; Fraser, K; Jones, V. E; Lamberson, C. M; Van Roey, P; Colón, W; Bystroff, C. (2014). Green-lighting green fluorescent protein: Faster and more efficient folding by eliminating a cis-trans peptide isomerization event. Protein Science. doi: 10.1002/pro.2421
Crone DE, Huang Y-M, Pitman DJ, Schenkelberg C, Fraser K, Macari S, & Bystroff C. (2013) GFP-based Biosensors State of the Art in Biosensors / Book 1 ISBN 980-953-307-669-5.
- Fraser, K; Saeed, S; Bartelt, D. Hydrogen peroxide generates an increase in mitochondrial matrix free calcium. 26th Fungal Genetics Conference 2010, p192.
- Fraser, K; Bishop, A; Banerjee, S; Miner, J; Buck, P; Bystroff, C. Right handed supersecondary structures and the phone cord effect in silico and in vitro. Protein Science (2012) vol 21, Suppl 1, p137.
- Fraser, K; Pitman, D, Schenkelberg, C; Teets, F; Macari, S; Rosenberg, E; Garreta, L; Rosenman, D; Huang, Y-m; Nayak, S; Banerjee, S; Choi, A; Altschuler, R; Reeder, P; Crone, D.E; Dordick, J.S; Bystroff, C. The folding pathway of leave-one-out green fluorescent protein. Protein Science (2013) vol 22 Suppl, p 241.
- Fraser, K; Lamberson, C; Jones, V; Gilbert, E; Rosenman, D; Huang, Y-m; Pitman, D; Banerjee, S; Xia, Y; Choi, A; Altsuler, R; Garreta, L; Karonicolas, J; Crone, D.E; Dordick, J.S; Bystroff, C. Expanding the GFP toolbox through a better understanding of its folding pathway. Protein Science (2014) vol 23 Suppl 1, p 144.
- Rensselaer Graduate Student Professional Meeting Travel Grant (2012, 2014, 2015)
- Finn Wold Travel Award, 28th Annual Symposium of the Protein Society (2014)