I come from a small city in China and spent six years in Tianjin University. My previous research was mainly about bioseparation, which is downstream. I joined Prof. Dordick's group in 2010 and have been working on enzyme engineering/expression, and biochemical characterization of enzymes.
2015, Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
2010, M.S. in Biochemical Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
2008, B.S. in Biochemical Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
Antibiotic resistant pathogenic bacteria are a great threat to public health, and therefore, there is an urgent need for the development of novel antibacterials. Bacterial lytic enzymes, found either in bacteriophages or in bacteria, have attracted increasing attention due to their high killing efficiency, high specificity, and low risk of causing resistance issues. These enzymes digest bacterial cell wall peptidoglycan of the target species and thus lead to cell death within a short period of time, while leaving other species unaffected. My projects focus on basic understanding and engineering of bacterial lytic enzymes for better stability and activity.
- Xia Wu, Navdeep Grover, Elena E. Paskaleva, Ruchir V. Mundra, Martin A. Page, Ravi S. Kane, Jonathan S. Dordick. 2015. Characterization of the activity of the spore cortex lytic enzyme CwlJ1. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 112 (7): 1365-1375.
- Jicong Cao, Manish Arha, Chaitanya Sudrik, Abhirup Mukherjee, Xia Wu, Ravi S. Kane. 2015. A universal strategy for regulating mRNA translation in prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Nucleic Acids Research, 43 (8): 4353-4362.
- Ruchir V. Mundra, Xia Wu, Jeremy Sauer, Jonathan S. Dordick, Ravi S. Kane. 2014. Nanotubes in biological applications. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 28: 25-32.
- Ruchir V. Mundra, Krunal M. Mehta, Xia Wu, Elena E. Paskaleva, Ravi S. Kane, Jonathan S. Dordick. 2014. Enzyme-driven Bacillus spore coat degradation leading to spore killing. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 111 (4): 654-663.
Awards and Honors
- Howard Isermann fellowship, Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 08/2010-05/2011
- First-class fellowship, Tianjin University, 09/2009-08/2010
- Industrial scholarship of China Shijiazhuang Pharmaceutical Group Co., Ltd., Tianjin University, 10/2009
- Excellent Student Award and scholarship, Tianjin University, 10/2009
- Excellent Leader in Students’ Associations Award, Tianjin University, 10/2009
- Second-class fellowship, Tianjin University, 09/2008-08/2009
- Excellent Student Award and scholarship, Tianjin University, 10/2006
Hobbies and Activities
I like jogging, playing badminton, listening to classical music, and reading.