I was born and raised in Taiwan before I came to USA to pursue my Ph.D. degree in 2012. I joined Dr. Dordick’s group in December 2018, right after I finished my Ph.D. program. My previous work focused on developing biomolecular thin films using naturally abundant proteins as building blocks for biomedical applications, such as antifouling and/or bactericidal coatings.
2018, Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, USA
Dissertation: Development of Functional Biomaterials Using Protein Building Blocks
2009, M.S. in Chemistry, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
Dissertation: Synthesis and application of biofunctionalized mesoporous silica nanoparticles
2007, B.S. in Applied Chemistry, National Chi Nan University, Taiwan
My current research project focuses on developing immobilization strategies for improving stability and efficiency of protein-based antimicrobial systems.
Representative Journal Articles (showing 7 of 29)
- Wang, L.-S.; Gopalakrishnan, S.; Lee, Y.-W.; Zhu, J.; Nonnenmann. S. S.; Rotello, V. M. “Translation of Protein Charge and Hydrophilicity to Materials Surface Properties using Thermal Treatment in Flourous Media." Material Horizions 2018, 5, 268.
- Wang, L.-S.; Duncan, B.; Tang, R.; Lee, Y.-W.; Creran, B.; Elci, S. G.; Zhu, J.; Tonga, G. Y.; Doble, J.; Fessenden, M.; Bayat, M.; Nonnenmann, S. S.; Vachet, R. W.; Rotello, V. M. “Gradient and Patterned Protein Films Stabilized via Nanoimprint Lithography for Engineered Interactions with Cells.” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2017, 9, 42
- Mumtaz, S.; Wang, L.-S.; Hussain, S. Z.; Abdullah, M.; Huma, Z.; Iqbal, Z.; Creran, B.; Rotello, V. M.; Hussain, I. “Dopamine Coated Fe3O4 Nanoparticles as Enzyme Mimics for the Sensitive Detection of Bacteria” Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 12306.
- Wang, L.-S.; Gupta, A.; Duncan, B.; Ramanathan, R.; Yazdani, M.; Rotello, V. M. “Biocidal and Antifouling Chlorinated Protein Films.” ACS Biomaterial Science & Engineering 2016, 2, 1862
- Wang, L.-S.; Gupta, A.; Rotello, V. “Nanomaterials for the Treatment of Bacterial Biofilms” ACS Infectious Diseases 2016, 2, 3
- Talber, J.; Wang, L.-S.; Duncan, B.; Jeoung, Y.; Andler, S.; Rotello, V.; Goddard, J. “Immobilization and Stabilization of Lipase (CaLB) through Hierarchical Interfacial Assembly” Biomacromolecules 2014, 15, 3915
- Wang, L.-S.; Wu, L.-C.; Lu, S.-Y.; Chang, L.-L.; Teng, I.-T.; Yang, C.-M.; Ho, J.A. "Biofunctionalized Phospholipid-Capped Mesoporous Silica Nanoshuttles for Targeted Drug Delivery: Improved Water Suspensibility and Decreased Nonspecific Protein Binding" ACS Nano 2010, 4, 4371 7.
- Rotello, V. M.; Duncan B.; Wang, L.-S.; Jeoung E.; Subramani, C.; Saha, K. "Protein Films and Methods of Forming the Same." U.S. Patent 10073340 filed Octorber 2, 2015, and issued September 11, 2018.
- Ho, J.-A.; Wang, L.-S.; Yang, C.-M.; Wu, L.-C. "Biofunctionalized Phospholipid-Capped Mesoporous Silica Nanoshuttles for Targeted Drug Delivery.” U.S. Patent 8758811 filed November 22, 2010 and issued June 24, 2014.
Awards & Honors
- Marvin D. Rausch Scholarship Award (2017)
- Member of the honor society of Phi Kappa Phi (2016)
Hobbies & Activities
My all-time favorite activity is snowboarding, but I also enjoy BBQing, hiking and kayaking in summer and fall.